We cant deny the fact that we sometimes keep Make-Ups even if they're past their expiry dates, but its a must that every make-up collector should know when to keep and when to toss Make-Ups and other Beauty Products to avoid unwanted hypersensitivity reactions from expired stuff.
Here's a list of the Lifespan of Common Beauty Products :
- Mascara - 3 months
- Cream-based shadows, liner or blush - 1 year
- Powder Eyeshadows - 2 years
- Eyeliner Pencils - 1 year
- Liquid Eyeliner - 6 months
- Powder Blush - 2 years
- Creme / Liquid Foundation - 1 year to 18 months
- Powder Foundation - 2 years
- Loose Powders - 2 years
- Concealer Creme - 1 year
- Lipstick/Lipliner - 1 year
- Lip Gloss - 2 years
- Makeup Sponges - 1 month
- Nail Polish - 1 year
- Makeup Brushes - 2 years
However, there are also brands do not follow the list posted above, like for example NARS blushes, their creme/powder blushes' lifespan is 24months. With these deviations, there are other signs to watch out for, for us to decide whether to Keep or Toss our precious babies.
1. As a general rule, if a product doesnt cause hypersensitivity reactions or allergic reactions to the person using it, it would mean the product is still safe for use and it is still safe to keep.
2. Almost every beauty product in the market now bears the sign below (image on the left), this indicates that the product would be best used within 12 months after you open the package. ( XM : x= number of months ; M= month/s). The image on the right shows the exact date of expiry.
3. If there is visible separation in the components of a liquid product, Toss.
4. If there are changes in the scent/odor of a product, Toss.
5. If there are visible changes in the color of a product, Toss.
6. If you think youve been keeping the product for God-knows-how-long and is doubtful if its still safe for testing, Throw it out.
Observing proper hygiene in using your beauty products doesnt only decrease the chance of you getting allergic reactions from the product, it also extends the lifespan of these products as well, which is imperative for those who love purchasing expensive beauty products.
Here are a few tips to prolong the lifespan of your favorite beauty products.
1. Avoid double-dipping!
2. Use clean/sanitized spatulas, wands, sponges. These items decreases the chance of us, introducing microorganisms to the product.
3. Do not share makeup with anyone else.
4. Clean your make-up tools regularly, this includes brushes, sponges and whatever you use to apply the products with. As these cosmetic tools can serve as the best breeding ground for germs.
5. Keep the product's lid tight all the time, to avoid the products from drying out fast.
6. Keep the products off moist, warm areas. Liquid items separate faster when exposed continuously to high temperatures. Keep your cosmetic storage away from windows or from direct sunlight. Moisture can also serve as a good breeding ground for microorganisms. I personally keep packets of moisture absorbent beads in my make-up cases to get rid of moisture, this is a must especially with the humid weather that we have here in the Philippines.
7. On eyeliner pencils, sharpen before usage, even just 1 twist will get rid of microorganisms that thrive in the tip of the pencil, remember that the eyes are the most sensitive part of our face, make sure your eye products are always clean.
8. On lipsticks, swipe the tip to a piece of tissue paper before swiping on your lips, when using a lipbrush, clean the lipbrush first before usage.
9. On compacts, to prolong the lifespan of these products, make sure to keep your sponge in a separate container or keep the thin acetate film that separates the sponge from the surface of the compact. Facial oil that the sponge collected during touch ups can harden the surface of the compact.
Thats all. :)) I can go on writing more but with these basic reminders, you ladies would prolly know how everything else would work.. Heehee. I hope this post somehow helped you in taking care of your babies.
Live, Love and Stay Fab!!